Monday 12 April 2010

In the beginning

there was a family. A fairly typical, ordinary family, though slightly larger than most- both in terms of the number of children, and the fact that both parents are obese. In my case, I am morbidly obese, with a BMI of 42.something, and am just over 5'2". I have two children from my first marriage, and we have three children together, the youngest of whom is currently three months old.
This blog exists for two reasons: firstly, for accountability. I'm at a point in my life where I need to turn my eating habits around and eat sensibly, healthily and fulfillingly. In addition to the weight issues, I'm also facing serious dental issues because of my poor diet. We've also had a slight downturn in our finances recently, and not only do I need to cook and eat healthily and healthfully, I also need to do it fairly economically and with no- or little- waste.
The second is less altruistic. There are few success stories of people who have gone from a poor, junk-food laden diet and stayed off it for several years, and few real life stories of what life post-obesity is like. I don't yet know what the future looks like for me. Weight loss surgery is not an immediate option for me, as I have a small and breastfed baby, but it is something I may need to turn to in the option. I'm reading more about Healthy At Every Size. I honestly do not know what the future has in store for me and my waistline- as far as I'm concerned, this is a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment